This week, we will look at the following questions from our series “Can I Ask That?”:
- Why do people judge you for how you look and not your personality?
- Why is our country so divided?
- Why are don’t our churches agree?
- Why do people try to copy others instead of embracing the ways we are so wonderfully different?
- Why am I left out, and what should I do about it?
These are words that hit like a ton of bricks because we are social beings. God created us to be connected to other people. We are made to crave community and friends. Just as much as we crave food and water. Science has even proven that people need friends and loved ones to survive and live healthy lives.
Now, you don’t need a thousand friends – and by that I mean you don’t need a thousand Instagram followers even though some of you are keeping track of that number.
But your saying KENA! I haven’t even made it to my second decade yet!!! I can’t even vote yet!! And all around me, at school, at baseball, at color guard, on the bus and especially in the lunchroom you guys experience DIVISION EXCLUSION & JUDGEMENT.
I have become convinced, that the source of Division, Exclusion, and Judgment is fear, and we as Christians are certainly not called to live in fear.
1 John 4:8-9 says, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because God first loved us. “
There is no fear in love, BUT Perfect love drives out fear.
This week will address the rest of our questions as we wrap our “Can I Ask That” and try to get to the source of what is causing so much strife in our world. As we address the source of fear, we will talk about ways we as follower’s of Chris are called to respond in love to those around us.
- Was there a time this week when you were acting out of defensive fear rather than confident love? Who or what made you act that way?
- Has there ever been a time where you were unable to overcome division, exclusion, or judgment? How did you cope OR how will you cope in the future?
- Consider a habit you can adopt (either at lunch, on social media, in school activities) which will force you to act more out of confident love than defensive fear.