This week we will hear from Kate Crowford who is the coordinator for Digital Learning and Media Services for FCBOE. Her presentation is called “Digitial Tattoo:”
A tattoo is permanent, much like the information we post online…(this presentation) gives its top tips on making sure your child’s online reputation is just as good as their offline one. The photos we share, the comments we write, the videos we ‘like’ all say something about us to other people. Even if we delete them, they may still be out there – saved and shared by others, or even kept by the site or app itself. (ParentInfo.com)
We will discuss questions such as:
- What does the content you post online say about you?
- Why should I be concerned?
- Can a digital footprint be a good thing?
We will also give students an opportunity to ask questions anonymously about social media and online safety.
Parents, if you have time, check out this Good Morning America segment on teenagers and cell phones so you can follow-up the conversation at home.
Small Group Discussion Questions:
- How do you deal with peer pressure concerning cell phones and social media?
- Do you find cell phones and social media to be stressful? Why or why not?
- Do you think your parents understand the importance or influence of cell phones and social media in your life? Why or why not?
- Do you have any unanswered questions about cell phones or social media?